Sunday, May 31, 2009

MOMMY WEANING

This weekend, my husband and I went to our cabin on Pasley to celebrate our 9th Wedding Anniversary.  We went by ourselves, without any children, for 17 hours!  We ate, drank, read, made out, napped, lounged...It was dreamy and perfect and oddly quiet.  

It was also the first time I left Will longer than 8 hours, never mind left him overnight with someone (my parents).  This is always difficult for the mommy...leaving my babies for the very first time for an extended period of time.  

Jake calls it "mommy weaning."  

It is the act of separating myself from one which I am strongly attached and devoted to.  It is also the realization that my baby is OK, and even happy, without me.

Sure enough, by all accounts and by the photos my mom emailed me, Will had the time of his life.  He played in a pool on the deck, sprayed water at their dog, snacked on sugar crisp, and get this...woke up once for a diaper change and then slept until 9:20am!  What a bugger.  This is so typical.  He does not sleep this well normally.

So all in all, I think the mommy weaning went well.  

Thank you Mom for taking care of my baby boy and loving him, and to Mom C. too, for taking our other two treasures on an amazing adventure with their beloved Grandma.

Jake and I had the best time (pictures tomorrow?).  

Last year, we brought Will with us on our 8th Anniversary weekend.  It didn't go so well.  He really did cry the whole time.  Jake was certain he swallowed a toy.  He also said Will got to have more booby than he did. 

Will & Daddy last year at Pasley
May, 2008

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Happy, Happy Anniversary Becks! It sounds like you and Jake had a wonderful time and that Will showed you that he can sleep (almost) through the night...
Lots of love
Me xo

Lori said...

You crack me up. happy anniversary, i hope Will continues to sleep better.