Tuesday, January 5, 2010

STOP. WINDY ROAD AHEAD.


While playing Mario on the Wii with Sam today, I realized that January, for me, is kind of like the invincibility star. At the beginning of each year I feel like I have super powers. I'm motivated, I'm energized, I dream big, I have epic plans, I move fast...I'm invincible. I move couches and rearrange beds. I carry wardrobes down stairs, mop floors, organize drawers and cupboards, sharpen my pencils, hang pictures, plan out a month's worth of meals, choose which marathon I'm going to run in...

But like the invincibility star, my powers are only temporary. The feeling of starting fresh and being able to do anything I want turns into crazy lady who is emotionally unpredictable and frustrated and can't sleep at night thinking about the all the things I want to accomplish now.

So today, when Will would not nap again at noon, which is also the only moment in the day when I have free time to tackle my lists and resolutions, I started feeling less like invincible Becky.

So I put on my runners, put Will in the stroller and walked for an hour and a half...and then took a breath and reminded myself that there are still 360 days left in the year. And more importantly, what I do have is love, health, beauty and joy in my life, never mind a Starbucks and a new Cobbs up the street (where I walked to and got a latte and a cinnamon bun, and which I consumed without interruption since Will did finally fall asleep).





Mario Star Power sound bite

No comments: